Sunday, January 25, 2009

ONLINE ADJUNCT FACULTY TIP #14 - Low tech approach to tracking each week of a course


Let's face it, sometimes low-tech is the best tech. For that reason, whenever I start a course, I take a simple legal pad and jot down the course assignment week-by-week. This notepad is portable, of course, so I can grab it and take it with me if I'm grading papers away from my office. If you're tech savvy and love to use Excel, you could certainly re-create this approach in an Excel spreadsheet. However, there's nothing as simple as picking up a pen and making a few notes on a notepad. Please view the scan of a notepad I assembled for a class I'm currently instructing. You'll note that some check boxes are highlighted in yellow - I do that when a student is overdue on a post or submission of an assignment - and quick visual to remind me which student(s) I need to email and remind to turn in work (although this doesn't happen often).

1 comment:

Ivan2 said...

Very good point. A fast and easy way to monitor assignments.