Wednesday, April 22, 2009

ONLINE ADJUNCT FACULTY TIP #26 - Having Learning Teams Share Their Assignments with the Entire Class


Thinking back 15 years ago to my college days (as a shaggy-haired student) -- I recall a course in which the instructor collected students assignments, copied them into a booklet, and returned them to each student. The class was about goals for speech-language therapy sessions. I think each student was required to 5 goals per specified format. Hey, it took me a while to pencil out my goals - not as easy as one would think... I wondered, "What's everyone doing?" Then after handing in my assignment, the instructor said, "You didn't know this at the time you wrote your goals, but you were really contributing to a larger collection of goals -- I'm going to copy everyone's goals into a booklet for each of you - and that will serve as an outstanding resource tool when you're out on your first job."

The image above is a screenshot from one of my online courses. In the past year, I've began requiring students to post their team assignments for the benefits of others in the class. Note that each team has a unique assignment related to a specific topic. Only ungraded versions are posted - and students are aware at the start of the assignment that their end product will be displayed for all. This approach allows for a greater sharing of knowledge and allows students to depart class with a deeper toolbox of resources.

No comments: